It took 30 firefighters to bring the blaze under control.
A fire caused $31,000 in damage to a two-story home Saturday afternoon at 428 Clark Road in Knoxville, the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office said.
The occupants were ironing clothes in an upstairs room when the power went out, according to a fire marshal’s office news release. After they left the house, the power came back on and caused the iron to reheat.
Officials said the fire, which was reported by a neighbor at 2:10 p.m., caused $30,000 in damage to the structure and $1,000 in damage to the contents.
Thirty firefighters from Potomac Valley, Rohrersville, Sharpsburg, Brunswick and Jefferson County, W.Va., took about five minutes to get the fire under control, the release said.
The home was occupied by Nicholas and Cassie Churchwell.