The Hagerstown Fire Marshal's Office is investigating.
A Hagerstown man suffered extensive facial burns that could be life-threatening after he tried to light a cigarette while using home oxygen Wednesday afternoon, according to a Community Rescue Service, Inc. spokesman.
Rescue crews were alerted about the incident in the 200 block of Prospect Street about 3:25 p.m., Assistant Chief Dave Hays said.
The man was taken to Meritus Medical Center for treatment, Hays said.
The Hagerstown Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the accident, he said.