It was because of a propane leak.
Walkersville High School was evacuated Thursday morning due to an odor reported in the building. "We received reports of the scent of propane gas in one of the hallways of Walkersville High," said Michael Doerrer, Director of Communications for Frederick County Public Schools. "Walkersville High School, like all FCPS buildings, we have clearly established procedures for quickly and effectively responding to situations like this," continued Doerrer. The fire department responded and cleared the building. Students were escorted out of the building at 8:40 a.m. "This morning was a great example of how planning can pay off to ensure the safety of our school community."
Firefighters determined that a small amount of propane had leaked from an almost empty tank that connects to a clothes dryer. Once the tank was fully secured, and the hallway was aired out, students were allowed to return to their classes, which was around 9:25 a.m.
There were no reported injuries. Classes resumed to their normal schedule.