CONTACT: Susan Harding, Public Information Officer, 301-600-1385
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Monday, October 29, 2012
Complete Update from The City of Frederick Regarding Hurricane Sandy
• The Planning Commission Special Workshop scheduled for today, October 29th has been cancelled and will be rescheduled.
• The City of Frederick Department of Publics Works is staffed and can be reached at 301-600-1440.
The following agencies in The City of Frederick will be open for food and shelter.
• The Frederick Community Action Agency, 100 South Market Street will be open on Monday, October 29th and Tuesday, October 30th and will offer "day shelter" on both days from 7:00 am to 6:30 pm. The FCAA Soup Kitchen will serve a free evening meal from 5:30 to 6:30 pm. The Foodbank will be open and distribute food as needed. For more information, please call 301-600-1506.
• The Religious Coalition for Emergency Human Needs, 27 DeGrange Street, will open and operate as an overnight shelter on Monday, October 29th at 6:30 pm. For more information, please 301-631-2670.
• The Frederick Rescue Mission, 419 West South Street, will provide free breakfast and lunch meals on Monday, October 29th and Tuesday, October 30th and will operate a "day shelter" on both days from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm. For more information, please call 301-695-6633.
The Frederick Police Department along with other City staff will be conducting street outreach throughout the day in order to check on people and inform them about available resources.
- Report down power lines to 9-1-1.
• DO NOT to cross standing water on roadways.
• RECYCLING - Due to the effects of Hurricane Sandy on our region, alterations to this week’s regular curbside recycling collection schedule are being made. As of 9am Monday morning, curbside recycling collection is operating as normal. Please be aware that weather conditions may cause some streets to be inaccessible for recycling collection trucks; drivers will attempt to collect wherever possible. In anticipation of increasing storm severity, recycling collection for Tuesday October 30 is cancelled. This means that all curbside recycling collection for the remainder of the week (Tuesday through Friday) will shift one day later than their normal day.Further information and updates on the status of the curbside recycling collection can be obtained by visiting the Office of Recycling’s website at: www.FrederickCountyMD.gov/recycle or by calling 301-600-2960 to hear regularly updated voice recordings.
• The City Dog Park is closed until further notice.
• The William Talley Recreation Center is closed.