The fire spread to the house.
There were no injuries from a house fire in Urbana on Monday morning.
Fire fighters were dispatched to a town house at 5420 Singleton Court for a mattress on fire on the rear deck of the home. Personnel determined that the fire had spread to the house.
It took 50 fire fighters 15-minutes to control the flames. No one was hurt.
Damage is estimated at $20,000 to the home, and $10,000 to the contents.
Fire investigators say an occupant placed cushions on the deck earlier in the day to air out. During the evening, the gas fireplace was turned on. Officials say sometime during the night, the hot exhaust from the fireplace vent came into contact with the cushions, setting them on fire.
Officials say the occupant of the home was awakened when the fire broke through the window, and the smoke alarm sounded.