public input is requested for two proposed calendars.
The Frederick County Public Schools has posted two versions of proposed 2013-14 academic calendars online for public review.
FCPS encourages the public to review the two drafts at email@example.com/feedback.
The public is invited to address their public comments to mailto:Calendar.Proposal@fcps.org...
The Calendar Committee members will present the drafts to the Board of Education at its regular meeting on Wednesday, January 2. The BOE is not scheduled to take action until a later date.to allow time for public input..
Major highlights of the two calendars are noted below:
- Students attend school 180 days, as Maryland law requires.
- Teachers work 190 days. On the days that teachers work when school is not in session, they review assessments, prepare lessons, evaluate student work, and engage in professional development.
- Parent-Teacher Conferences are scheduled for the fall only and include only elementary and middle schools, which open late on November 25 and close early November 26.
- Thanksgiving break is November 27-29.
- Winter break begins December 23, and schools reopen January 2.
- Spring break begins April 14, with schools reopening April 22.
- There are 5 snow days built into the calendar.
The versions differ as follows:
- With Calendar A, teachers report August 13, and students report Monday, August 19. The last day of school for students is Tuesday, June 10 and Wednesday, June 11 for teachers (including five snow days). There is a two-hour early dismissal for students on Fair Day.
- With Calendar B, teachers report August 20, and students report Monday, August 26. The last day of school for students is Wednesday, June18 and Thursday, June 19 for teachers (including five snow days). There is no school on Fair Day for students or teachers.