Frederick Man Sentenced For Arm Carjacking, Armed Robbery, Other Offenses

Titus Lamont Diggs, Jr.¬† (Photo from Frederick County State’s Attorney’s Office)

He used a handgun to steal a car from an elderly woman.

Frederick, Md. (KM) – It’s off to prison for a Frederick man. In Circuit Court on Monday, Titus Lamont Diggs, 20, was sentenced to 40 years incarceration, with all but 20-years suspended. Diggs pleaded guilty on May 31st, 2022 to armed carjacking, armed robbery, assault, illegal¬† possession of a firearm, and having a loaded firearm on his person.

Circuit Court Judge Scott Rolle imposed the sentence.

State’s Attorney Charlie Smith says these charges against Diggs stem from  four separate incidents in Frederick city. On December 2nd, 2020, Frederick Police were notified that two men were being treated at Frederick Health Hospital for injuries to their face and head. The two had communicated with Diggs through Snapchat, and were going to meet him in the 600 block of North Bentz Street to purchase a THC vape cartridge. When they met, Diggs produced a handgun and assaulted  the two victims  and . “took two phones and about $200 in currency. He struck them with a handgun several times,” Smith says.

In a second incident, on March 30th, 2021, Frederick Police Officers responded to Klinehardt’s Alley and West 6th Street for a report of shots fired. A second firearms discharge was also reported on April 5th, 2021 between the 500 and 600 block of North Bentz Street.

On April 18th, 2021, officers with the Frederick Police Department responded  to the 200 block of East 4th Street for a report of a carjacking. An 84-year-old woman  was retrieving her purse from the back seat of her Chevrolet Malibu when Diggs walked up to her with a weapon  in his hand . He ordered her to hand over her car keys. Then Diggs drove away. “He was later found in possession of the stolen Malibu by Baltimore County Police. He was arrested and they found the Ruger 380 in the car at the time as well as casings from gun discharges,”: says Smith.

Regarding Diggs; sentence,, Smith says it was appropriate. “Obviously, serious offenses for Mr. Diggs, and that’s why he got a very substantial sentence. . Again, 40 years suspend all but 20 to serve in prison. A long time to think about what he did,” says Smith.

The investigation which led to Diggs  arrest and indictment was conducted by the Frederick Police in consultation with the State’s Attorney’s Office under the Maryland Criminal Intelligence Network. “This is a network that provides strategic support to us in terms of multi-jurisdiction offenders, and that’s what happened here,” says Smith.

By Kevin McManus