4 Frederick County Basketball Teams Go for State Championships and Maryland Men in the Big Ten Touranment, all this and more this Week on WFMD Radio, wfmd.com and the WFMD APP !
Thurs., 3/14, Approx. 3:00 pm: Men’s College Basketball, Big Ten Tournament, Maryland (22-9, 13-7) vs. either Rutgers or Nebraska.
Thurs., 3/14, 5:00 pm Opening Tip: Boys High School Basketball, Thomas Johnson (20-5) vs. Reservoir at the University of Maryland in the State 3A Boys Semifinals.
Thurs., 3/14, 8:50 pm pre game, 9:00 pm Opening Tip: Girls High School Basketball Frederick (22-3) vs. Long Reach at Towson University in the State 3A Girls Semifinals.
Fri., 3/15, Approx. 3:00 pm: If they won on Thursday, Maryland Men face the University of Wisconsin in Big Ten Tournament play.
Fri., 3/15, 5:00 pm Opening Tip: Girls High School Basketball, Middletown (23-3) vs. Queen Anne’s at Towson University in the State 2A Girls Semifinals.
Fri., 3/15, 8;50 pm pre game, 9:00 pm Opening Tip: Boys High School Basketball, Oakdale (23-3) vs. Wicomico at the University of Maryland in the State 2A Boys Semifinals.
Sat., 3/16, 1:00 pm: If the Middletown Girls won on Friday, they play in the State 2A Girls Championship Game at Towson University against either Hereford or River Hill.
Sat., 3/16, 3:00 pm: If the Thomas Johnson Boys won on Thursday, they play in the State 3A Boys Championship Game at the University of Maryland against either C. Milton Wright or Baltimore Poly.
Sat., 3/16, 6:00 pm: If the Oakdale boys won on Friday, they play in the State 2A Boys Championshp Game at the University of Maryland against either Patterson or Thomas Stone.
Sat., 3/16, 8:00 pm: If the Frederick Girls won on Thursday, they play in the State 3A Girls Championshp Game at Towson University against either Aberdeen or Baltimore Poly.
Sun., 3/17, 12:05 pm: Frederick County Sports Weekend featuring interviews with the coaches and athletes of Frederick County.
State High School Hoops Tournament Rolls on with Sectional and Regional Championships, all of it ahead this week on WFMD Radio, wfmd.com and the WFMD APP !
Monday, 3/4, 6:50 pm pre game, 7;00 pm Opening Tip: Boys 3A West, Sectional Semifinals, Tuscarora (11-11) at Thomas Johnson (18-5).
Tuesday, 3/5, 5:50 pm pre game, 6:00 pm Opening Tip: Girls 2A West Sectional Semifinals, Walkersville (17-6) at Middletown (20-3).
Wed., 3/6, Boys Sectional Championship game, Time and Teams to be announced.
Wed., 3/6, after the basketball game, The Mark Turgeon Maryland Basketball Show.
Thurs., 3/7, Girls Sectional Championship Game, Time and Teams to be announced.
Fri., 3/8, 6:30 pm pre game, 7;00 pm Opening Tip: Men’s College Basketball, Minnesota (18-11, 8-10) at Maryland (21-9, 12-7).
Sat., 3/9, High School Basketball, Regional Championships, (teams and times to be announced)Sun., 3/10, 12:05 pm: Frederick County Sports Weekend featuring interviews with coaches and athletes of Frederick County.
- Leads all of Frederick County boys basketball in scoring averaging 23.3 points a game
- He is in 8th place in the County in assists, averaging 4 a game
- Has scored more than 800 points in his high school career at Tuscarora under Coach Darryl Whiten.
- On December 21, 2018 Trumaine scored 40 points in a 74-72 win over North Hagerstown.
- On December 28, 2018 Trumaine scored 25 points, had 7 rebounds and 6 asists in a 64-51 win over Clarksburg.
- On February 8, 2019 Trumaine scored 27 points, and had 5 assists, 6 rebounds and 4 steals in a big win over Linganore.
- Leads all of girls basketball in Frederick County in scoring averaging 20 points a game.
- Leads all of girls basketball in Frederick County in rebounding averaging 11.9 per game.
- Has led her team to a 19-3 season record so far with the state tournament to come.
- On December 21, 2018 Saylor scored 31 points, and had 15 rebounds 4 assists and 3 blocked shots in a 62-48 win over Walkersville.
- On a December 28, 2018 in a win over Poolesville Saylor scored 14 points, and had 13 rebounds, 7 assists and 4 blocked shots.
- On January 22, 2019 Saylor had a triple double in a win against Brunswick scoring 27 points, grabbing 10 rebounds and getting 10 blocked shots.
Podcasts - Shows & Games
Sundays at Noon
Pete MacLeod (right) has more than 30 years experience covering high school and college sports. From 1978 thru 1997 he did high school football, basketball, ice hockey and baseball play by play for WSRO Radio in Marlborough, Mass. He also co-hosted a weekly high school sports show at the station from 1991 thru 1997 and did play by play on radio and Cable TV for the Marlborough Shamrocks , semi pro football team , of the Eastern Football League from 1987 thru 1997. Pete also did play by play of Brown University football on the “First Sports Network” in Rhode Island for the 1988 and 1989 seasons and did Holy Cross Football play by play on WTAG in Worcester, Mass. for the 1985 season.
Before coming to WFMD, Pete covered high school football and basketball for WFTR in Front Royal, Va. and WXVA in Charlestown, W.Va. Pete works as an editor and, occasional sports reporter, for National Public Radio in Washington.
Edward Lulie (left) is a lifelong resident of Maryland and has two sons.. He has coached Football and basketball in the Middletown Valley Athletic Association and been the color commentator for WFMD High School Football broadcasts for the last seven years (with Pete McLeod doing the hard work-play by play!) A graduate of the University of Baltimore Law School, Edward was appointed to be Community Prosecutor in 2008 and continues in that position. He has practiced law in Frederick since 1979.
He has experience both as a writer and commentator. An enthusiastic supporter of athletics in Western Maryland he hopes that Frederick County Sports Weekend continues to help helps bring well deserved recognition to the many talented athletes and coaches in our area and helps thereby to increase public awareness and support.