Christmas Cash For Kids November 28 - December 2
In 1975, an announcer working at radio station, WZYQ, received a very distressing phone call from one of his listeners. There was a family in the Frederick area that would have no Christmas. The disc jockey made the decision and the station raised nearly $1,500, enough to provide Christmas for several families.
It was snowing on that Christmas Eve as “Santa” (the disc jockey) drove along a dirt road north of Frederick. He found a wooden shack. The mother and her three children didn’t live there. They lived in the shanty behind the shack. Santa knocked at the door. A little girl answered. She threw her arms around Santa and exclaimed, “My mommy said you’d be too busy, but I knew you’d come!”
“Christmas Cash for Kids” was born.
Since then, “Christmas Cash for Kids” has become a holiday tradition in Frederick County. It has evolved into the single largest provider of children’s toys and clothing for those who would otherwise have to do without
Again this year, WFMD is working with the Salvation Army, a local Frederick bank and many other businesses and organizations to raise money to provide Frederick children with a Christmas they would otherwise miss.
None of the money received is used for any overhead expenses. It’s taken to the bank and can only be used after two authorizations. The funds are spent in Frederick County stores and purchases are based on quality and price. Please don’t go out and buy toys. “Christmas Cash for Kids” can purchase the appropriate gifts, clothing, and supplies at much better rates. Take you donation to the station or send in a check or money order made payable to “Christmas Cash for Kids”
Here’s what you can do as a business. If you’re a retail business, put out a collection can. Put up a poster in your storefront window. Pass the hat in your company or come up with unique ways of collecting money, i.e. dress down days, funny hat or whatever you can come up with. Check below for a poster to show you are working to raise money for “Christmas Cash for Kids”.
Due to COVID-19 this year Christmas Cash for Kids has to be a little different. WFMD is so grateful for our amazing community of listeners and we are excited to continue the Christmas Cash for Kids tradition. We would still love to have listeners visit the radio station but we have some guidelines we need to follow.
- ALL visitors must be wearing a mask. There are no exceptions.
- We will only be allowing Christmas Cash for Kids staff in the WFMD studio. We will have microphones set up around and possibly outside the radio station so all donors are still welcome to make their donations on air.
- We are happy to do curbside pick up of donations. You can drive around the circle at the radio station and call 301-663-4181. Someone will come out to take your donation.
- If you are a business or group and would like to pre-schedule your donation time please email [email protected] This will help limit the number of people in the building at one time.
Thank you so much for understanding. WFMD is doing everything possible to keep our employees and listeners safe. If you have any questions please call the main office 301-663-4181
Come out an see us at Sloan School of Music in Urbana on Tuesday from 4-6pm
2016 Recap Video
- 6 AM – Frederick Air
- 7 AM – NZ Cramer & Son
- 8 AM – Jay Day and the Day Home Team
- 3 PM – Agewell Senior Fitness
- 4 PM – Frederick Shell
- 5 PM – Eric Smock Heating and air conditioning