Improperly Discarded Cigarette Butt Cause Of Double House Fire

The fire displaced a family of five.

Investigators with the Frederick County Fire Marshal’s Office has determined the cause of a double house fire in Brunswick early Sunday morning. “They have determined that it originated on the exterior of a home at 116 6th Avenue and the cause was an improperly discarded smoking material. It was actually a cigarette butt,” says Battalion Chief Kevin Fox with County Fire and Rescue.

The fire destroyed two homes, displacing a family of five from one house. The other residence was vacant. The flames also damaged three other nearby homes.

Fox says there were no civilian injuries from this fire. “There was one fire fighter taken to the hospital with a medical-type event. He was treated and released earlier in the day,” he says.

A burn ban has been put into effect in Frederick County due to the dry conditions and low moisture levels. Fox urges anyone who smokes to be careful when they dispose of their smoking materials. “It’s important people make sure they discard any type of smoking material in a container that’s not combustible,” he says. “Make sure you put some type of water or even like a sand material so there’s no opportunity that can get near combustibles.”