Fire Fighters Rescue Woman From Burning Home

She was flown to Medstar Hospital Center in Washington with serious burns.

Brunswick, Md. (KM)  The cause of a house fire in Brunswick Tuesday morning is accidental, attributed to careless smoking, according to fire officials.

Battalion Chief Kevin Fox with Frederick County Fire and Rescue Services says fire fighters were dispatched around 7:20 AM for a house fire in the 200 block of East G Street. “As units were en route to that location, information was given that there was an occupant that was still trapped, inside,” he says. “Our crews, on arrival, went to work and were able to rescue that victim.”

The woman who was rescued  had serious burns and had to be resuscitated at the scene. The victim was flown to Medstar Washington Hospital Center in DC. Another female was transported to Frederick Memorial Hospital for emotional distress, fire officials say. There were no fire fighter injuries.

“It took approximately 45-minutes to knock the fire down. It did spread up into the attic, and we had some spread to the basement level where it also burned through,” says Fox.

He says damage is estimated at $100,000.

In addition to Brunswick fire fighters, personnel from surrounding communities in Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia responded and helped put out the fire. “It was a single-alarm fire. However, it was definitely taxing on our personnel. With the high heat index levels, we made sure that we rotated crews, providing misting fans, and a lot of hydration opportunities for our personnel,” says Fox.

Because there were injuries in this fire, the Frederick County Fire Investigation Task Force was called to the scene. That panel consists representatives from Brunswick Police Department, the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office and the County Fire Marshal’s Office. Fox says no foul play is suspected in this fire.