Local Family Left Homeless After Fire Destroys Residence in Jefferson, MD

FREDERICK, Md. (KR) A local family lost their home in a fire in Jefferson, Maryland this morning (Wednesday).

Fire officials say units from Jefferson County, Montgomery County, and Loudoun County responded to the scene where the home was engulfed in flames.

Battalion Chief, Kevin Fox with the Division of Fire Rescue Services for Frederick County said the home is a total loss.

“At 5:25 this morning, fire rescue units were dispatched to the 4300 block of Horine Rd. near Jefferson. First arriving crews found fire from the roof area. It took approximately 50 firefighters about two hours to fully extinguish the blaze,” said Fox.

He said the family of two adults and 5 children escaped the home with no injuries.

“Most importantly we want to encourage people to have working smoke alarms in their homes. It will help warn them when they’re sleeping and such that there is a fire in the home,” said Fox.

Fox said that the fire started in the chimney and then extended out into the rest of the home. The family is being assisted by the American Red Cross.

BY: Katie Ryan