He’s expected to be sentenced on Thursday.
Frederick, Md (KM) A suspect involved in a stabbing last year in Frederick entered a plea Tuesday in Circuit Court. Erick Alejandro Cinque Menendez, 19, of Frederick pleaded guilty to attempted 2nd-degree murder and participating in a criminal gang.
State’s Attorney Charlie Smith says sentencing is scheduled for Thursday. “Although his guidelines on these two charges are four to nine years, we’re going to seeking a much higher sentence, something in the range of 15 to 20 years when he goes to sentencing later this week,” he says.
Menendez was arrested in December, 2015 following a stabbing at the Rockledge Plaza in the 1100 block of West Patrick Street in Frederick. Police arriving on the scene found two men with life-threatening stab wounds. They were taken area hospitals for treatment.
Witnesses at the scene identified Menendez as the suspect. He was taken into custody shortly after the stabbing.
Smith says cases like these are difficult to try in court. “Many of the witnesses don’t want to come forward for various reasons, either because it involves a gang member or they’re not here legally,” he says.
But Smith says he’s confident the State would have made a convincing presentation in court if the case went to trial. “We felt very strongly that we could prove the case and I think that why he ultimately decided to plead guilty in the matter,” he says.
Smith also says Menendez is not a US citizen, and will be deported once he completes his sentence. “He already has a pending order of deportation. But this plea certainly assures that will occur and he will not be allowed to reenter the country with a serious felony like this,” he says.
By Kevin McManus