She’s being held on a no-bond status.
Frederick, Md. (KM) The Catoctin High School student who allegedly planned a mass shooting at her school has been formally charged. Major Tim Clarke with the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office says Nicole Cevario, 18, of Thurmont, was released from Frederick Memorial Hospital on Friday. She was taken into custody by detectives and served with arrest warrants, charging her with explosives-related offenses.
Cevario was taken before a District Court Commissioner on Friday, who ordered she be held without bond. “At 1:00 PM, Miss Cevario was presented before a District Court Judge in Frederick County for a bond review. Her no-bond status remain pending an evaluation from the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. She remains at the Frederick County Adult Detention Center,” says Major Clarke.
The Sheriff’s Office says Catoctin High received word from Cevario’s father of a potential for violence at the school. Officials contacted law enforcement and an investigation was begun.
On Thursday, March 23rd, Cevario was removed from the classroom and turned over to investigators.
The Sheriff’s Office says Cevario alone conceived the plan for a mass shooting at the school. There were no other individuals involved.
Authorities say Cevario outlined her plans for the shooting in her journal, and said she planned to die during that time. Investigators say the date of the event was to be April 5th.
A search and seizure warrant was served on the home, and detectives found a shotgun with ammunition, and bomb-making materials.
They also say Cevario had been compiling intelligence on the school, such as the emergency procedures associated with drills conducted by staff, and the activities of the school resource officer.
Investigators say Cevario was intent on carrying out her plans. They also say she has been dealing with mental health issues.
The Sheriff’s Office emphasizes that no weapons or explosive devices were brought on school property, and that the explosive materials found in her home had not been combined to make a bomb or other destructive device.
The charges against Cevario are possession of explosive material to create a destructive device, and possession of incendiary material to make a destructive device.
The Sheriff’s Office says it received cooperation in this investigation from the Frederick County School System, the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office Bomb Squad, the Frederick County Fire Marshal’s Office and the State’s Attorney’s Office.
By Kevin McManus