Fire Damages Home In Mt. Airy

Extreme temperatures caused problems for firefighters.

Mt. Airy, Md. (DG) – Fire caused significant damage to a home in Mount Airy on Sunday afternoon.

Shortly before 1:30 PM, firefighters responded to a house fire near Route 27 and Falling Green Drive.

Arriving units saw fire coming through the roof of the house near the chimney. All the residents had gotten out of the home safely.

Ninety-five firefighters from Frederick, Carroll, Howard, and Montgomery Counties battled the blaze for over 30 minutes. Authorities say fighting the flames was extremely treacherous due to the cold temperatures and water freezing on contact.

Crews battled the fire from the outside of the home, and then moved inside to get flames hidden in the wall area.

No one was injured in the fire. Damage is estimated at $175,000. Investigators say the fire started in the chimney and extended into the roof area of the house.

The occupants of the home have been displaced, and are being helped by family and friends.

-Dianah Gibson