Man Causes Fire To His Home After Using Blow Torch To Thaw Pipes

The occupants of the home are being assisted by the Red Cross.


Taneytown, Md (KM) The Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office says the cause of a house fire Sunday afternoon in Taneytown was accidental due to a homeowner thawing pipes with a blow torch.

At 2:45 PM,  90 fire fighters were dispatched to the two-alarm fire at 42 and 44 East Baltimore Street in Taneytown, and spent two hours bringing the flames under control. There were no injuries.

Damage is estimated at $250,000 to the structure, and $50,000 to the contents.

The fire originated on an exterior wall, and was discovered by an occupant.

All occupants got out safely and are being assisted by the Red Cross.


By Kevin McManus