Taneytown Man Taken To Bayview Burn Center Following House Fire

He had burns on his arms.



Taneytown, Md (KM) A Taneytown man was medivaced to the Bayview Burn Center Tuesday afternoon after being injured in a house fire. The State Fire Marshal’s Office says Richard Horn, 26, was attempting to remove a pot of grease from the stove at a home when he suffered 2nd- and 3rd-degree burns to his arm. He’s expected to recover.

Officials say 40 fire fighters responded at 3:44 PM  to the house at 103 Carnival Drive and spent 20-minutes bringing the flames under control. There were no other injuries.

Damage is estimated at $100,000 to the structure, and $25,000 to the contents. .

Fire investigators say one of the occupants of the home, Charles Shiever, was aware of the fire, and alerted all remaining occupants to get out,  except for his wife, Angie Shiever, who was not home at the time. Horn attempted to remove a pot of grease from the stove which was on fire, and burned his left arm.

The fire rapidly spread and Horn told his family to get out of the house. A neighbor offered his fire extinguisher and Horn re-entered the home to try to put out the fire, but was turned back due to the intense heat and smoke.

Investigators say the fire was accidental due to unattended cooking on the stove.

The Fire Marshal’s Office says the two-story townhouse had working smoke alarms, but no sprinkler system.


By Kevin McManus