Washington County Firefighters Busy

Two Structure Fires in the past Few Days

Washington County Firefighters have been busy over the past few days. On May 11th, Mt.Aetna fire personnel responded with 68 fire fighters to 21312 Chewsville Road for the report of a barn structure fire. The fire began on the second floor and was reported to be caused by an electrical malfunction of a safety switch near combustible materials. No livestock or individuals were injured in the fire which caused an estimated $100,000- damage to the structure and $15,000 to the contents.

In another incident, a fire was reported in a three-story apartment building at 10842 Downsville Pike Hagerstown. The Halfway Fire Department responded with 24 firefighters to extinguish a fire caused by a candle on the rear porch. The estimated loss to the structure was two hundred and fifty dollars and one hundred dollars to contents. No one was injured.