Frederick Residents Still Asked To Conserve Water

The State of Emergency remains in affect through Wed.



Frederick, Md (KM) Frederick city residents still need to voluntarily conserve water. Officials say in a statement that water flows into the waste water treatment plant have slowed, but they’re still above average.

Citizens and businesses which suffered damage during the heavy rains and flooding are encouraged to go on line and take a survey describing the losses they experienced. The website is  The deadline is June 15th. Officials say this information will help when the city seeks the appropriate assistance from state and federal officials. This action is being taken in partnership with Frederick County.

The State of Emergency issued last week by Mayor Michael O-Connor remains in effect through  Wednesday. The return of sunshine on Sunday means the city can begin assessing  the impacts of the flooding, which is expected to take a few weeks to complete.

“I want to thank our residents and businesses for their cooperation as we continue to work through the impacts of the several weather,” says Mayor O’Connor in a statement. “I am grateful to DPW and Police, who have worked throughout to safeguard the lives, safety and health of our community.”

Meanwhile, the Department of Public Works says its sanitation crews are prepared to pick up flood damaged items. It will be done on regularly scheduled trash collection days through June 1st,  but DPW wants to be contacted in advance. Residents can call DPW Communications at 301-600-1440. They can also call Tammy Albaugh at 301-600-1680, or Zach Fleagle at 301-600-1377.

City officials say flood-damaged materials such as flooring and carpeting are acceptable for collection. But materials such as tires, paint, vehicle batteries and any form of hazardous waste are not acceptable.

DPW says it will also take reports of flooding, water and sewer issues and infrastructure damage at 301-600-1440. They can also be sent by e-mail to [email protected] . Photos of any damage can sent to the City using the ISpires app:

Tax relief for property owners could be available from the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation. Information can be found  at



By Kevin McManus