House Damaged By Fire Last Week In Washington County

It was caused by discarded smoking materials.



Hagerstown, Md (KM) Fire damaged a home early Saturday morning in Washington County

The Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office says personnel from the Williamsport Fire Department responded to 17,631 Lappans Road in the community of Saint James just after midnight, and spent five-minutes bringing the flames under control.   No one was hurt.

Damage is estimated at $25,000 to the split-level single family home itself, and $12,500 to the contents.

Investigators say the fire originated in the bedroom and was due to improperly discarded smoking materials.

The Fire Marshal’s Office says the occupants were alerted by a smoke alarm, and all managed to get out safely. They are being assisted by their family and their insurance company.


By Kevin McManus