This after 8 employees were injured during the riot that took place in April of 2018.
FREDERICK, MD. (LG) After almost two weeks in the courtroom, in two separate motion hearings, Judge Theresa Adams denied the defense counsels’ requests to try their clients as juveniles.
“Defendants Bernard Moore, 17, of Frederick, Md., and Daniel Ennos, 17, of Prince Georges County, were involved in violence that the Judge described as “brutal and frightening” when they attacked staff members at the Victor Cullen Center in Sabillasville on April 8, 2018,” said Charles Smith, Frederick County States Attorney.
“Multiple staff members were injured; months of work were lost by employees due to the injuries sustained. The Judge cited the extensive efforts the Department of Juvenile Services has made to offer services and therapy to both of these youths. Moore who will turn 18 years old in November 2018, had been sent to multiple juvenile placements and offered therapy for years. Ennos had also been under the jurisdiction of the Juvenile Court for years and offered various treatment programs and placements, but none ended successfully.”
“The Judge considered testimony from multiple expert witnesses testifying in each case before ruling that the Defendants were not amenable to treatment in a juvenile facility. In addition to the expert testimony, the evidence submitted included recordings of the Defendants reveling in their violence acts and continuing to be engaged in violence while being held at the Frederick County Adult Detention Center,” continued Smith.
There were eight residents charged in the April 8, 2018 riot, with each involved to a different degree. One co-Defendant, Ali Tarek, 19, appeared before Judge William R. Nicklas on September 10, 2018, and entered a guilty plea to a First Degree Assault on a staff member, Second Degree Assault on another staff member, and Rioting.
“Tarek was sentenced to a total of 50 years at the Department of Corrections, with all but 5 years suspended, and 5 years supervised probation upon release. Diego Glay, 19, who became involved after the first attack on staff had begun, plead guilty to Riot and Second Degree Assault on Sept. 27, 2018, and was sentenced to 10 years with all but 18 months suspended and supervised probation upon release.”
“So we are happy to know that Bernard Moore and Daniel Ennos will also be tried as adults, and what’s gonna happen in their case, we don’t know, but we are prepared to go forward,” Smith said.