The project lead to a fire that caused $225,000 in damages
Hampstead, Md. (DG) – A DIY project destroyed a home in Carroll County.
The Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office said on Sunday at around 5:30 PM, fire fighters responded to a house fire on Yellowstone Court in Hampstead.
Arriving emergency crews found a single-family home on fire. The fire went to 2-alarms, and it took 60 firefighters 50 minutes to put the flames out.
Investigators say the fire started when 25-year-old Robert Floto was building a ‘do-it-yourself’ electric bike in a bedroom on the first floor using multiple lithium-ion batteries.
Bring the build, two of the lithium battery terminals touched, creating an explosion which led to other batteries to explode and ignite nearby combustibles.
Floto was able to push the bike out of the rear door of the home. He and his father tried to extinguish the fire but we’re unable. The fire quickly spread throughout the house.
Damage is estimated at $225,000. Investigators say the home is a total loss.
The Red Cross assisting the family.