House Fire In Smithsburg Ruled Accidental

Damage was extensive.


Smithsburg, Md (KM) The Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office says the cause of a building fire in Smithsburg Saturday afternoon was accidental due to an electrical malfunction.

Fire fighters were dispatched to  12514 Bradbury Avenue just after 4:00 PM, and spend 20-minutes bringing the flames under control. No one was hurt.

Investigators say damage is estimated at more than 247-thousand dollars:  $165,000 to the structure, and $82,500 to the contents, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office.

The owner identified as James Riffle is being assisted by family members.

The building is former church which was converted into a one-story single family home. Investigators say the fire originated in the sanctuary area.


By Kevin McManus