Pediatrician Charged With Sexually Abusing Patients Granted Additional Bond

Authorities say there could be more victims in this case.

 

Frederick, Md (KM) Bond has been increased for a Frederick pediatrician charged with sexually abusing his patients. In Circuit Court on Tuesday, Judge William Nicklas granted Dr. Ernesto Torres a $400,000 secured bond. That’s on top of the $100,000 bail granted on May 8th.

State’s Attorney Charlie Smith says he wanted Dr. Torres to be held without bond. “We felt like he was a substantial flight risk. He is from Peru. He doesn’t have any family here in the Frederick area. The only¬† thing he has in the Frederick area is his practice,” he says.

Dr. Torres was arrested on May 7th for 2nd-degree rape, 2nd-degree assault and 4th-degree sex offense for the rape of an 18-year-old woman who was one of his patients. During a hearing the next day, Dr. Torres was granted the $100,000 secured bond. He was also placed on home detention, and must have no unsupervised contact with patients or minors.

Last week, Dr. Torres was indicted by the Frederick County Grand Jury on 65 counts, including child sex abuse, sex abuse of a minor, and 2nd- and 3rd-degree sex offenses. These charges are based on 11 victims coming forward with their stories. He was arrested again by Frederick Police.

“One additional fact that we did present at the bond hearing was that we have an additional 12 or more additional victims beyond the 12 that are currently charged that have come forward,” says Smith. “The Frederick Police Department has put an additional detective on this case at this time.” Smith says that would bring the number victims up to 24 or more.

As part of Dr. Torres’ current bond, he will remain on home detention, and cannot practice medicine or have any contact with females under age 18.

 

By Kevin McManus