A closed-door hearing was held Wed. at the Frederick County Court House.
Frederick, Md (KM) A decision on whether one of the youths charged in the fatal assault at the Great Frederick Fair last year will be tried as an adult is expected to come next week.
State’s Attorney Charlie Smith says a closed-door waiver hearing was held Wednesday at the Frederick County Court House before Judge Julie Stevenson Solt. Smith says the judge will issue a written decision on Tuesday, February 18th. “The factors that the court considers includes the seriousness and nature of the offense, the threat to public safety, the age of the youth, their mental and physical condition, as well as their youth’s amenability to treatment in the juvenile system,” says Smith.
The hearing on Wednesday covered the 16-year-old whose charged with two counts of 2nd-degree assault. His 15-year-old brother, whose charged with manslaughter, 1st-degree assault and two counts of 2nd-degree assault, will have a separate waiver hearing.
The victim in this case was John Weed, 59, of Mount Airy. He was visiting the Fair in September when he was attacked by the two youths. The 15-year-old delivered the final blow, and his 16-year-old brother spat on him after he fell to the ground, according to authorities.
Weed was medivaced to Shock Trauma in Baltimore where he died the next day.
Because this hearing on Wednesday was held in a courtroom closed to the public, Smith said he could only offered limited comments. “All I can tell you is we had the motion today. We argued it. We believe that they should be waived into the adult system. And we just have to wait for the judge’s ruling,” he says.
By Kevin McManus