Fire officials say he was using gasoline to ignite a fire.
Hagerstown, Md (KM) One person was flown to Bayview Burn Center in Baltimore following a fire in the Hagerstown area Tuesday afternoon.
The Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office says an individual was using gasoline to ignite a fire in an open area next to a garage at 1108 Pope Avenue. That caused the fumes to ignite and led to a flash fire. The victim suffered 2nd-degree burns to the arms, neck, face and the back of the head.
Fire fighters from the Funkstown Volunteer Fire company responded shortly after 12:00 PM, but the fire was out on arrival.
The Fire Marshal has determined the cause of the fire as accidental.
Authorities have not released the name of the victim, but in a news release, the Fire Marshal’s Office identifies the owner of the property as David Aydelotte.
By Kevin McManus