Two Occupants Injured Following House Fire In LaVale









The cause was due to an unattended candle.

LaVale, Md (KM) Two people suffered minor injuries following a house fire Monday morning at a home in LaVale in Allegany County.

The Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office says fire fighters were dispatched to a house in the 11300 block of New York Avenue just before 4:00 AM,   found a one-story rancher fully involved with flames.

40 fire fighters spent 20-minutes bringing the flames under control. One fire fighter suffered a minor injury, and was treated and released at the scene.

Deputy Fire Marshals investigating the cause of the fire determined the homeowner and her son-in-law woke up to a fire in the living room after hearing a series of noises. Both were able to get out, along with two dogs. But the son-in-law went back inside to retrieve a set of keys, and later fell on the ice. He was transported to the hospital. His mother-in-law was also taken to the hospital for minor smoke inhalation. The two dogs are safe.

The investigation into the fire determined it was started by an unattended candle in the living room. The Fire Marshal’s Office also says the home had a smoke alarm, but dead batteries prevented it from activating.

Damage is estimated at $150,000..

The family is being assisted by the Red Cross.

“This incident has several teachable moments with tragedy barely being averted,” said Maryland State Fire Marshal Brian Gercaci, in a statement. “First, this fire shows the importance of not only having, but testing smoke alarms monthly. Citizens are reminded to replace any battery-only smoke alarm over ten years old with a unit powered by a 10-year sealed-in battery. These early warning devices can be the difference between life or death in an incident of an uncontrolled fire inside our homes. Second, never go back into a burning house. Once you and your family have exited, call 911. Get out an stay out.”


By Kevin McManus