The 38-year-old man critically injured two adults
Frederick, MD (KB) At around 8:20 Tuesday morning, Frederick Police received a call for an active shooter at the Riverside Technology Park on Progress Drive.
Frederick Police Chief Jason Lando:
“Upon arrival at the scene, they found two adult males had been shot,” said Lando. “They were flown by helicopter to Baltimore Shock Trauma.”
Lando said the shooter then traveled to the Fort Detrick Military Base. Fort Detrick Police said the suspect breached the Nalin Pond gate located off of Oppossumtown Pike, and he was killed within minutes by US Navy personnel.
Fort Detrick Police have also identified the suspect as a 38-year-old active-duty Navy Sailor who was stationed at Fort Detrick. He was pronounced dead on the scene after medical lifesaving procedures were initiated.
Frederick City Mayor Michael O-Connor:
“I don’t think you could ever know how these incidents are going to transpire,” he stated. “We’re lucky, I think, to be able to go back and rely on the training of the agencies involved, to be able to respond as quickly as they can, they’re rapidly evolving situations, and everybody did their jobs today. It’s just a tragic situation.”
Lando said the most recent update on the victims is that they are both in critical condition in Baltimore. He also said police have confirmed that there was only one shooter and the public is no longer at risk.
This is an active investigation, stay tuned to WFMD.com for the latest information.