Lightning The Cause Of A Fire At Hood College Brodbeck Hall

Fire officials say the blaze originated in the cupola or roof area.

Frederick, Md (KM) A lightning strike is being labeled the cause of a fire at Brodbeck Music Hall at Hood College last week. Frederick County Fire and Rescue officials say the blaze originated in the cupola or roof area of the three-story building.

Fire fighters were dispatched to Hood at around 1:49 AM on Thursday, September 9th., and saw fire in the roof area of the building.  45 fire fighters  spent about 45-minutes bringing the flames under control. Personnel remained on the scene to put out hot spots and do overhaul.

Brodbeck Music Hall was unoccupied at the time of the fire, and there were no injuries. Nearby Smith Hall was evacuated as a precaution.

Protective coverings were placed over the organ, the piano and other musical instruments to protect them from water damage.

In a statement on Twitter, Hood College President Andrea Chapdelaine asked students, faculty and staff and visitors to the campus that clean up in continuing at Brodbeck Music Hall, and to respect the perimeter.

By Kevin McManus