Student Exposed To Mercury At Monocacy Valley Montessori School

No one was taken to the hospital.




Frederick, Md (KM) There was a small mercury release at the Monocacy Valley Montessori Charter School in Frederick on Monday afternoon.

According to Fire and Rescue officials, personnel were dispatched at 1:39 PM to 217 Dill Avenue,  where they learned a small amount of mercury was released on a desk, and one student was exposed. The student had received a vial of mercury as a gift and brought it to school to show someone else.

Students in adjacent classrooms were told to remain in place. while emergency workers began containing the mercury. Crews reported negative air readings in the hallway outside classroom where the mercury was released, officials say. 

Two students were exposed:  one tested negative and the other was positive. That contaminated student washed their hands and arms to remove the mercury. That person then tested negative for the chemical, according to County Fire and Rescue Services.  

No one was taken to the hospital.

Fire fighters did cleanup operations before leaving the scene.


By Kevin McManus