He lunged at the deputy with a knife.
Frederick, Md (KM). A New Market man was one of seven people indicted on Friday by the Frederick County Grand Jury. Alexander Astudillo, 32, is charged with 1st-degree assault, 2nd-degree assault and reckless endangerment.
State’s Attorney Charlie Smith says Deputy Samantha Foland was dispatched to the 6100 block of Mississippi Lane in New Market on Tuesday, March 21st for a disturbance. She entered the home and confronted Astudillo. “Unfortunately, Mr. Astudillo pointed a knife at her, refused to drop it after being commanded to do so,” said Smith. He “began to lunge at her with the knife which meant that the deputy obviously had to deploy deadly force at that point in time, and shot Mr. Astudillo..”
Astudillo was taken to University of Maryland Shock Trauma for treatment.
An indictment was also handed down to Eduardo Francisco Urbina, 18, of Frederick. He’s charged with 1st-degree assault, conspiracy to commit 1st-degree assault, participating in a criminal gang and having a handgun on his person. Smith says Urbina was involved in a large fight in front of the Latino Market on Hillcrest Drive in late December, 2016, where another person was shot. He says police determined the fight was between two rival gangs. “They were able to, through some investigation, determine that it was him who was one of the people that was shooting at the time of the event . They didn’t recover a weapon at the scene, but they were able to detain Mr. Urbina, and ultimately the Grand Jury did indict him for 1st-degree assault as a result of that shooting,” he says.
Other indictments handed down include:
* Ronald Eugene Weddle, 70, of Emmitsburg, Md. He’s charged with two counts each of 1st-degree assault, 2nd-degree assault and reckless endangerment for an incident which occurred on April 2nd, 2017.
* Peter Wood, 72, of Middletown, Md. He’s charged with three counts of promoting and distributing child pornography, and eight counts of possession of child pornography for offenses which occurred from January 16th through February 26th, 2016.
* Jonathan Sterling Jones, 24, of Frederick, Md. He’s charged with 1st-degree assault, 2nd-degree assault and false imprisonment for an incident which occurred on April 8th, 2017.
* Terrence Lamont Warfield, 34, of Frederick, Md. He charged with 1st-degree burglary, 4th-degree burglary of a dwelling and malicious destruction of property less than $1,000 for an incident which occurred on May 11th, 2016. The Grand Jury also indicted Warfied in a separate case for 1st-degree burglary, 4th-degree burglary of a dwelling and two counts of theft between $1,000 and $10,000 for an incident which occurred on October 3rd, 2016.
* Joseph Paul White, 30, of Frederick, Md. He’s charged with six counts of 1st-degree burglary, three counts of theft between $1,000 and $10,000, five counts of malicious destruction of property less than $1,000, three counts of theft less than $1,000 and one count of 4th-degree burglary for incidents which occurred in March, April and October, 2016.
Indictments move these cases to Circuit Court where a trial date will be scheduled.
By Kevin McManus