No incidents have been reported within Maryland.
Frederick, MD – The State Fire Marshal’s office is advising parents of a new viral video that could result in fire incidents.
The “challenge” was created on the app TikTok, with people partially inserting the plug part of a phone charger into the wall outlet and then sliding a penny down the wall onto the exposed prongs.
The challenge results in sparks, electrical system damage, and in some cases, a fire.
No incidents have been reported within Maryland, but the agency was notified of two incidents in Massachusetts.
“We are alerting parents to this challenge, and advise them to not only look for signs of fire play like scorched outlets but to have conversations about fire and electrical safety with tweens and teenagers,” State Fire Marshal Brian S. Geraci said.
The Fire Marshal wants to remind the public to follow these electrical fire safety tips:
– Insert plugs fully into sockets
– If you have young children, install tamper-resistant electrical outlets
– Replace wall outlets if plugs do not fit tightly, or show signs of damage.
– Do not overload outlets
– Never force a three-pronged plug into a two-slot outlet.
By Timothy Young