House Fire Ruled Accidental


Damage is at  $100,000.



Taneytown, Md (KM) The cause of a house fire in Taneytown Sunday night is being labeled accidental.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office says fire fighters responded to the 200 block of Colbert Street just before 11:00 PM, and found a two-story, single family home on fire. It took them ten-minutes bring the flames under control.

Damage is estimated at $100,000.. No one was injured.

Investigators say the fire, which originated in a garage, was due to improperly discarded ashes from a fire pit placed in trash can.

The Fire Marshal’s Office reminds citizens not to dispose of ashes in combustible containers such as a cardboard box, paper or plastic bag, or plastic trash can. They should be placed in a non-combustible  metal container with a lid. Water should be poured into the container to keep the ashes cool..

The metal container should be kept outside of the home, 10 feet or more away from any combustible materials.

Tell family members to be safe with ashes from a fireplace or a stove.






By Kevin McManus