Three Injured In Decorative Candle Accident In Frostburg

All were transported to area hospitals.


Frostburg, Md (KM) Three people in Allegany County suffered burns over the weekend due to a mishap with a decorative candle.

The Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office says at around 10:15 PM on Saturday, fire fighters and medics were dispatched to a home in the 16,000 block of Duck Hill Road In Frostburg. for multiple burn injuries.

Upon their arrival, they found three adults with various burns to their bodies, Two were treated at  the scene and transported to   UPMC Hospital in Cumberland; and a third person who was also treated at the scene  was taken to   UPMC Mercy Hospital  in Pittsburgh, Pas.. All three suffered non-life threatening injuries.

Authorities say the three were injured after isopropyl alcohol was added as a fuel to a decorative candle. There was still an open flame inside the candle,  and the alcohol. ignited and splashed on to the victims.

The Fire Marshal’s Office says this incident was an accident, and no charges will be filed.

But authorities remind residents to take precautions when using decorative candles or ethanol fireplaces in the home: The Office of the State Fire Marshal is providing the following tips if you or your family decide to use one of these products:

You should always store your ethanol or isopropyl alcohol in the container sealed and in a safe location that is away from kids.

Ethanol burns clean; therefore, it can be difficult to see if the flame is still lit. Be sure to double-check before you attempt to move or refuel your fireplace.

Only use approved fuel in your fireplace or candle. Using un-authorized types of ethanol or isopropyl alcohol can result in personal injury as well as fire damage to your personal property.

Always clean up spilled ethanol or isopropyl alcohol immediately. You don’t want to have flammable liquid spilled on your possessions.

Use a long match or lighter to get your fireplace lit. This is important as in some scenarios, your fireplace or candle can light on fire in a flash that can burn your hands.

Never move a lit ethanol fireplace or isopropyl candle. This is such an important tip to follow as any spilled fuel could ignite a much larger fire that could put your home and self at risk.

Never refuel your fireplace or candle while it is still lit.

Never leave your fireplace or candlelit and unattended.



By Kevin McManus