Investigators say the fire was accidental.
Smithsburg, Md. (KM) – A ewe and two lambs perished in a structure fire Sunday afternoon in Washington County.
The Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office says at around 3:25 PM, fire fighters responded to the 14325 Misty Meadow Road in Smithsburg for an 80-foot by 20-foot outbuilding on fire. They spent ten-minutes bringing the flames under control. Damage is estimated at $16.000 to the structure, and $4,000 to the contents.
There were no fire fighter or civilian injuries.
The Fire Marshal’s Office says the fire was accidental. A heat lamp was inside a 55-gallon drum which was being used to keep the ewe warm. Investigators say it looks like a lamb may have knocked over the heat lamp, causing nearby combustible materials to catch fire.
The primary responding fire company was the Leitersburg Volunteer Fire Department.
By Kevin McManus